[IC] The Warlock

Welcome Forums Academy of Eblana forum [IC] The Warlock

This topic contains 32 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  william 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

william
    Participant

IT seems that what people have been calling the Shadow may in fact have another name.

I received a letter signed “The Warlock of the Sidhe, the caster of shadow” the contents of the message are personal and not as important as the method of delivery, I found a place of significance in Old Eblana (I’ll detail that elsewhere for clarity) and recovered a number of old letters dating back to the empire there. among them was this letter from the warlock addressed to me by name written on paper that appeared as old as the imperial letters. It was written in old imperial but had a section at the start designed to make translating it easier and detailed how this Warlock knew I would find the place and the letters.

When I queried the Warlock with the changeling she simply said that she didn’t want to talk about that and asked that the subject be changed. She seemed frightened.

Before the storyteller fell I asked him to tell me one last story of the warlock (admittedly I was trying to distract him from the protagonists more than anything else). He said that the warlock was more powerful and dangerous than any of the others but wouldn’t say anything more.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  william.

Allan
    Participant

This One is troubled by this. For the sake of adding further information that others may not be aware of, The Warlock (in concert with the Warlord) was responsible for the recent obliteration of the Homestead settlement.

william
    Participant

Yes, the changeling said that, I’d forgotten. The way she said it though I wasn’t sure if the two armies were working in concert or opposed each other there and homestead was caught in the crossfire.

Feargal
    Participant

I suspect George will surely want to return to his homeland to help in the wake of the battle. Perhaps we can arrange a group to go with him and discover what we can about the machinations. We know the Warlord’s preference for “recruitment” so there is some hope for survivors even if her forces are frighteningly loyal.

Do we know anything about the Dire Legion? Or indeed what the Warlock was up to before this?

-Valiant

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Feargal.

william
    Participant

honestly I knew nothing of the warlock before translating the letter but to know a place the academy would find indeed I personally would find (a place warded against the Sidhe specifically) and to be able to leave a letter there with details that suggest it knew WHEN I would find it implies a level and type of power that Terrifies me. He prefers to observe than to act overtly.

Olin

Aidan

Unfortunately, when we encountered the Dire Legion in Dol Morgan, they were irritatingly vague with their answers to questions I asked of them. My suspicion, from their vague battle cries, was that each individual held us responsible for something-or-other (Likely different acts for different members of the Legion). The one who led them, The Dragon, claimed to serve The Shadow, and it was for The Shadow that he performed the ritual that struck down Master Suidan and Master Nikita.
    Incidentally, with the Dragon, muting and magically breaking his concentration didn’t work to disrupt his ritual, and I suspect other methods to disrupt him would be similarly ineffective. Should he appear again he will need to be taken down as a priority target which will require driving a wedge through the members of the Legion that surround and protect him.

Carawald Brant

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Aidan.

william
    Participant

That fits then, the letter I recieved made mention of me having seen what he did to the masters.

Olin

Feargal
    Participant

Carowald, The Masters are tough but not indestructible, we saw Master Monty fall in combat to a sufficient force and need pur aid to survive. The Warlock and his Dragon are formidable if they battled the masters and harmed them enough in conflict to weaken them. They still survived against these forces and so we must have confidence in them and ourselves.

-V

Contessa
    Participant

Master Monty was not part of the original group of heroes. As such, he does not have the boons that were granted to Suidan and the others.

We need to look after him, more than most.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Contessa.

Aidan

Valiant,
    The ritual performed made it seem as if claws of shadow were sundering their armour and rending their flesh with great gashes that could not be healed, even with no enemies near them, and were specifically targeting those two. These were not mere blows from a sword, but something entirely different and far more dangerous. The only reason they survived was because The Dragon deliberately stopped, stating that it was a warning as to of what he was capable. I have no hesitation in saying that had The Dragon wished it, Master Suidan and Master Nikita would both have died that night as we graduates stood beside them.
    It is for this reason that I state that The Dragon should be made a priority target. He must not be given the time to do something similar the next time we encounter him.
    -Carawald Brandt

william
    Participant

Since it seems to be becoming more relevant every time I look here this is the full letter:

Hello Olin

The Gate is quite Interesting, is it not?

We built them long ago so that we could move others as quickly as we moved ourselves. It was how people in stories used to miraculously be in so many places when so many fantastic beasts crossed the world.

I shall write this was as I want to ensure I am easily deciphered and I will therefore use I a great deal and I think that should ensure you get this sooner.

Leave this alone.

Take your beloved Kerrigan and go far from the Academy. Lay down your weapons. Pick up something else. A Paintbrush. A Trowel. A Flute.

You can have a long and happy life if you do not oppose me and the rest of the Sidhe. Leave this Gate. Realize I know you have found it and know who you are (regardless of who deciphers these papers). If you disturb this Gate you will regret it. You will Live long enough to do so.

You have been given a chance to be with the one you love, you are not divided by the schism of your beliefs nor are you doomed to know the heart ache of someone who does not love you truly but only out of duty or design.

I offer you this chance. You have seen what I can do to your masters.

Turn Away here Olin Vanwa of the Lands now called Emroth. Take your wife and flee to a life heroes do not get to have.

If you do not then you will face my ire for I must protect my fellow Sidhe from the Academy.

Think on it.

Warlock of the Sidhe
    The Caster of Shadow

Feargal
    Participant

Carowald,
    Thank you for giving me this insight, I have never heard of such magic but it is worrying it can be dispatched by a Sidhe. I can only hope it was draining and will not be encountered so readily or on a large scale. It alarms me it took so long for me to hear of it. I know communication is bad but this is…very bad

Either way that is worrying.

As to Olin, the letter is alarming indeed a threat and a warning to my eyes. Be safe especially those involved in the gate. It is a valuable resource but a dangerous one.

-V

Contessa
    Participant

Valiant,

The damage started out as frequent rends, but Master Suidan later collapsed at our feet, screaming in pain. There were no wounds on his body, no bleeding, no damage, that we could tell, yet he was stricken. One of the healers that attended him in the command tent may know more.

Contessa

william
    Participant

In honesty, the more I read the letter the more I see the threat is not to me but is to those I care about.

Olin

Contessa
    Participant

Olin,

Why is he specifically targeting you? Given the age of the paper, we assume he has prophetic powers, but so much of ths is specific to you, it surprises us.

Maybe he could tell that you would find this gate, but he references the fact that it may not be you that translates his note. Perhaps it is something to do with your construction.

What are the main tropes of a Warlock?

Maybe they can help us figure out his abilities and limitations.

Contessa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.